A pottery was started up in the last quarter of the 18th century at what is now The Continent. The first mention of a pot site here was in 1778 when William Cox paid one shilling for a 'bit of ground at the East End of Ticknall, in the Priory Manor for a Pot Yard'. The rentals are incomplete so it is not clear just how long this site was working; it was an unlikely time to start a new pot site in Ticknall, although it produced a large quantity of waste material. A deed of 1802 shows Cox's house, which is the present day Continent. Part of the garden of the property is solid with pot shards and the owner found a large area of burnt earth where the kiln might have been. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J & Brown, S. 2005. Ticknall Pots and Potters. Site 5, p 43.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36107 24020 (32m by 43m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 2 2011 1:56PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.