Opposite Top Farm and on an intake from the common was the pottery run by the Blore family. The first mention of this family in Ticknall is in 1680 and in 1719 Richard Blore bought 'All that pott workhouse and three bays of building' as well as the half acre of land on which the pottery stood. They were still potting in 1771, but were in severe financial trouble, eventually being dependent on the parish to keep them. The buildings were 'ruinous and out of repair' in 1782, when they were sold, and by 1830 the property had been replaced by three cottages. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J & Brown, S. 2005. Ticknall Pots and Potters. Site 12, pp 52-53.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34585 22571 (97m by 84m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 2 2014 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.