There was a pottery on the hillside at Tatshall Fee. This site was probably in production from the 1690s to around the 1760s. The earliest known potter here was Edward Standley who was the lead taker for the clay lease on Ticknall Common in 1690. He is mentioned as the occupier of a cottage in Tatshall Fee in a lease of 1702. His son and grandson were also potters; however, the grandson, Edward, was described as a pauper in 1787, by which time this pot site had probably ceased operation. The kiln site can be clearly seen when the field has been newly ploughed as a very dark patch on the hillside which, when examined, is full of kiln debris and potshards. There are faint traces of the harder surface of a track leading into the next field and there is a spring nearby for water. A map of the 1760s shows the field as 'Kiln Close'. Today there are no buildings left associated with the site. (1)
Examination of the 78 sherds (from 77 vessels) that was collected during fieldwalking at this site found that some of the wares predated the documentary evidence for the pottery and indicated that potting at the site could be pushed back at least to the mid 1600s. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J & Brown, S. 2005. Ticknall Pots and Potters. pp 58-59, Site 18.
Unpublished document: Irving, A. 2012. The Pottery from Site 18, Tatshall Fee, Ticknall, South Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34164 21687 (121m by 102m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2012 3:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.