There were several post-medieval potteries at Heath End and their history is complex. Most of the sites were in Leicestershire; however, one was in Calke parish. This was a farm rented by George Vernon, a carpenter, which was also a pottery, believed to be that described as 'David Hydes … potworks in the township of Caulke'. Edward Standley was also hired to work here in 1766. This site was definitely finished by 1787 when the buildings were demolished after the death of George Vernon. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J & Brown, S. 2005. Ticknall Pots and Potters. p 64, Site 22.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36839 21483 (137m by 109m)
CALKE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2011 4:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.