SK 3115 4022. A statue of the Lion of Medici, Kedleston Gardens. (1)
The Grade II listed statue is of a standing Medicean lion with a forepaw raised and placed on a ball. It dates to c. 1760-70 and was in place in the garden by 1766. The pedestal was designed by Samuel Wyatt and is made from sandstone with a red brick foundation. It has a moulded plinth, recessed panels, with those on the long sides containing relief garlands, and a cornice with dentils. The lion was carved by Joseph Wilton and is a copy of an antique lion from the Loggia dei Lanze in Florence. (2, 3)
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G (The National Trust). 1989. National Trust Archaeological Survey : Kedleston Hall, Derbyshire. p 72, pl. 6.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109087.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3117 4023 (6m by 6m)
KEDLESTON, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 28 2015 12:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.