Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR11798 - Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Goodwins Lane, Hazelwood

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Goodwins Lane, Hazelwood, a late 18th century building. The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Goodwin's Lane, close to Hazelwood Farm. (1) The chapel is still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2-3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is still standing and possibly part of 'Ireton's Farm'. (4) The Wesleyan's have a chapel here, built in 1814, and enlarged in and improved in 1890, at a cost of £120. (5) 'The chapel was built on land purchased from David Winfield of Hulland by John Goodwin in the year 1774. The chapel was the first public building in Hazelwood, there was only enough accommodation for 6 short forms and a cupboard like pulpit. The chapel was erected on the site of an old sawpit in 1813 and was twice enlarged.' (6) Please note that according to Google imagery (Streetview), and the photo on the original Listed Building Card, the building appears to have been a coach house. From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 34 NW 4/27 15.12.81 PARISH OF HAZELWOOD GOODWINS LANE Farm outbuilding to the north east of Iretons Farmhouse (formerly listed as former Coach house to north east of Iretons Farmhouse) II Farm outbuilding. Late C18. Coursed square gritstone with coped gables and moulded kneelers. Plain tiled roof. Two storeys, three bays with open arcade to ground floor with semi-circular heads to the openings with voussoirs and projecting keyblocks. Two first floor openings with boarded doors. Listed for group value only. Listing NGR: SK3343446235.' (7)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLIV - 4, 1900.
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 658.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Swift, H. 1931. Hazelwood in the Royal Forest of Duffield. 35.
  • <7> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 33434 46235 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 7 2023 2:58PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.