The 1st ed. 25" OS map c.1880 shows a Baptist Chapel on Station Street, Long Eaton. (1) The chapel is still in use at the beginning of the 20th century with the adjacent building now being shown as a Sunday school. (2)
The General Baptist Chapel, in Station Road, is a neat structure of brick and stone, erected in 1890, to accommodate 450. (3)
Baptists commenced services behind the High Street on the east side. The first chapel in "Tyburn" Lane opened 1864, the one on Station Road c. 1880 by Reverend J Clifford of London and Clumber Street followed in 1895. (4)
Long Eaton's Baptists were an offshoot of the Sawley Baptist Church, the oldest established nonconformist organisation in the locality. In 1861 seven Long Eaton members of this chapel decided to set up a Long Eaton branch. This was originally a first floor workshop behind 58 High Street (demolished 1977), but in 1864 a chapel was built in Station Street. In spite of an addition to the rear, which included a baptistery, the chapel was too small and the land between the chapel and the railway was acquired. The new chapel was built here and opened by Dr Clifford in 1880 and, with alterations completed in 1955 remains in use today. The old chapel [visible on the 1st and 2nd ed. OS maps as the Sunday school] was demolished to make way for the large two-storey schoolrooms completed in 1908 [seen on the 3rd ed. OS map]. (5)
Examination of modern maps show that the chapel is still in use by Baptists and that it has retained much of its original layout. The Sunday school has now been joined to the church and is marked as a hall. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). LVI - 3, 1900.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 556.
Archive: Derbyshire Local Studies. Summary information in parish file. Long Eaton, D3348.
Bibliographic reference: Reedman, K. 1981. The Book of Long Eaton. p 122.
Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4950 3342 (18m by 28m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.