Building record MDR11853 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, West Bank, Winster

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on West Bank, Winster. (1) The chapel is still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been extended and is now in use as a Sunday school [2009]. (4) The Wesleyan Chapel in Winster is dated to 1837. The building is stone with a slate roof and a north front of ashlar with a plinth, quoins and a round-arched doorway between Venetian windows. It has two round-arched windows in the south wall and a blocked window high up at the west end; the pulpit is against the blank east wall. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 16, 1899.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 57.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2397 6046 (13m by 11m)
Civil Parish WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 15 2010 4:22PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.