Building record MDR11889 - General Baptist Chapel, Hugh Lane, Bradwell
Type and Period (2)
- GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1790 AD? to 1790 AD?)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1840 AD? to 1840 AD?)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a 'School' adjacent to the Primitive Methodist burial ground on Hugh Lane, Bradwell. (1) The building is not marked as a school on the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 but it is marked as a Sunday school on the 3rd ed. OS map c. 1910. It is likely that the building acted as a Sunday school for the Primitive Methodist Chapel throughout this period. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is still standing although its current use is not clear. (4) The Baptists had a chapel until 1840 before it was enlarged by the Primitive Methodists in 1851. (5) A congregation formed c. 1789, was originally part of the church at Ashford but which became autonomous in 1811, died out by c.1840. The meeting-house, opened in October 1790 but was not registered until 1803, passed to the Primitive Methodists for use as a Sunday school. The original building of a single storey, gabled to the north and south, was heightened in 1853. The west front is of three bays with two original windows above. The east wall has two similar blocked windows to the lower storey and traces of a blocked doorway near the south end. A small bell-cote of c. 1854 with one bell stands on the north gable. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). X - 10, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR20735 Bibliographic reference: Evans, S. 1907. Methodism in Bradwell. p 11.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 36.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1728 8125 (12m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:55AM