Building record MDR11911 - Congregational Chapel, Little Longstone

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Congregational Chapel, on the road west from Little Longstone. (1) The chapel was still in use at the start of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel is still in use as a place of worship. (4) The Congregational Chapel, Little Longstone was built c. 1844 for a congregation founded in that year. The walls are limestone with rusticated dressings and a slated roof supported by two exposed king-post trusses. It has a gabled front with a stone bell-cote. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXIII - 2, 1898.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 51.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1875 7163 (11m by 14m)
Civil Parish LITTLE LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 12 2013 11:28AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.