Friends' Meeting House, Chapel Lane, Bakewell, built in 1852.
The building is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 where it is labelled 'Friends Meeting House.'
The Society of Friends erected a meeting house, with burial ground attached, in 1853, but no meetings are now held . (1)
Before the Bakewell Meeting House was built Friends attended the older Monyash meeting place, still standing, though no meeting is held there. For a time the Bakewell Meeting House was closed, then re-opened. (2)
The Friends' Meeting House, Chapel Lane is constructed from squared stone walls and hipped slate roof. It has a wide east front with datestone of 1852 on the lintel of the middle window; the porch is later. The interior is divided by renewed shutters, it has a larger room to the south, with a stand at the south end, with a smaller room to the north formerly with a gallery over. (3)
The building and associated burial ground was subject to a desk-based assessment and visit in 2015. 'In 1852 a meeting house was built in Bakewell as the gift of John Allcard on land given by the Bowman family. ...The meeting house was altered when a stone porch was added to the building, probably in the late nineteenth century, by some accounts around 1870. ...The building became disused in 1880 and various subsequent uses are recorded, including as a Salvation Army Hall. It was used as a school during the period 1945-1960, when alteration included the removal of the gallery, and insertion of kitchen, toilets etc. The building was subsequently taken back into use by the Friends and alterations and repairs included strengthening and refurbishing the roof structure, which had started to fail, in 1980, and removal of the shuttered partition between the principal rooms and replacing it with a solid wall in 1988. A major phase of refurbishment was planned in 2000 informed by the input of 24 regular user groups as well as the members of the meeting… Work started in 2006, initially with the input of the architect John Cunnington, taken forward by the architect Adrian Russell. ...The building was reopened in 2007.' (4)
From the National Heritage List for England:
SK2168 CHAPEL LANE 831-1/4/80 (West side (off)) 20/05/74 Friends Meeting House
Quaker meeting house. Dated 1852. Coursed dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: single storey; 3- and 2-window ranges. Plinth. Later porch between bays 2 and 3 with twinned ashlar pilasters supporting a pedimented wooden gable; ashlar side walls. The original building has large windows with projecting stone sills and wedge lintels each opening now glazed with fixed 12-pane lights beneath pivoting 8-pane openers. Centre lintel states 'ERECTED 1852'. Boxed eaves to hipped roof. Rear: various lean-tos and ashlar stack at eaves. Right return: 9-pane casements on 2 floor levels. INTERIOR: the original space now divided and gallery removed. Present meeting room retains elders' bench with panelling across front.
Listing NGR: SK2177268256.'