At the west end of the village street is an 18th century farmhouse. It has a plastered front with stone parapet, Venetian windows and door with fluted pilasters and pediment. Good 18th century barn behind. (1)
These farm buildings comprise a large two-storey house to the south, a large two-storey barn to the east, a two-storey outbuilding to the west and a two one-storey sheds to the north-west. The house has a south garden front with 18th century Georgian details including Venetian windows. However, this front is added to an earlier shell, as indicated by a 17th century-type mullioned window and a door with a lintel inscribed 'IB 1634', both at the rear. The roadside barn also has 18th century classical detailing round its windows. The western and north-western outbuildings do not appear on the 1809 enclosure award plan but had been built by 1880. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1105 6971 (66m by 42m)
CHELMORTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2015 11:34AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.