New Hyde Mill is a two-storey building, with a low square stone chimney and the vestiges of water power. In 1846 it had a 24 hp steam engine, which had been replaced by a 30 hp engine by 1857. The mill was later a wadding mill and is now a shirt factory . (1)
This cotton spinning mill was present by 1821 and is shown on the Tithe Map of 1847. The mill was taken over by Ferodo at the beginning of the 20th century. It has recently been demolished to make way for a housing estate . (2)
Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. p 235.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1999. Extensive Urban Survey: Chapel-en-le-Frith. Archaeological Assessment Report. p 13, component 19.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0601 8115 (45m by 69m)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2015 12:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.