Derelict deer cote, west of St Giles's Church, Calke Abbey, Calke, probably dating to 1774.
The deer cote is situated on a limestone spur created by 18th century landscaping. It was probably built in 1774 when the park was extended southwards. The deer cote is to be the subject of an extensive restoration scheme which will involve the replacement of the rotten timbers, consolidation of brick and stonework and reinstatement of the tiled roof. (1)
In April 2008 the 18th century deer cote and the later curved feeding stalls and shelters [SMR 17719] were investigated and recorded prior to consolidation and conservation works. In around 1769 the boundary of the deer park was extended southwards, the objective being that through the provision of shelter, food and shade, deer could be persuaded to grace the parkland rather than the woodlands. Two payments for work on the deer cote fix its initial construction phase in 1773, at the same time as the dismantling of the early 18th century formal gardens adjacent to the main house, and it is probable that bricks from the formal gardens were re-used in the construction of the deer cote. It consists of five bays aligned on a broadly east-west axis, the three central bays having originally been open-fronted and roofed over. These central bays are single storey, whereas the two end bays are one and a half storeys high, with a 'Serliana'-style window at first floor level in the gable. The deer cote is constructed of red brick with sandstone dressings, while the roof covering would have been red plain tiles with red hogsback ridges, as evidenced by fallen material. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'PARISH OF CALKE CALKE PARK SK 32 SE 4/22Deercote west of theChurch of St Giles
Deercote. Late C18. Red brick with sandstone dressings. Originally plastered. Roof originally tiled but now in ruins, some rafters remaining. Rectangular in plan, containing two chambers open along one side and two closed chambers at either end. Single storey. North and south elevations have a three- bay arcade on circular ashlar columns with moulded capitals. Angle quoins. Gable ends have partly blind Venetian windows in the gables. The east gable end has below, two rectangular openings, and the west gable end has three lozenge shaped blocks of breathers. Fragmentary remains of walling attached to north west relate to a demolished deer shelter.
Listing NGR: SK3670922280.'
Bibliographic reference: Marshall, G & Walker, J (The National Trust). 1988. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Calke Abbey, Derbyshire, Volume 1, Estate Survey. 115.
Unpublished document: Johnson, S, Burrill, C and Allen, P (ARS Ltd). 2008. An Archaeological Building Recording of the Deer Cote, Calke Abbey, near Ticknall, Derbyshire.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1031806.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.