Mr. Robert Lees, the owner of a local mill at Woolley Bridge and also a row of cottages in Lees Street allowed the use of an upstairs room for the Mission. Later the downstairs room was acquired and eventually the cottages were altered to make the final premises. When Hadfield became a separate parish in 1872 the Mission became associated with St. Andrew's Church. The Woolley Bridge Mission had been in existence for over 100 years when it closed in October 1964. The area has since been redeveloped for industrial and retail use . (1)
The terrace of cottages on Lees Street has since been demolished and a warehouse is now situated here . (2)
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 08/12/2009.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0105 9576 (81m by 76m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.