Holy Trinity Church, Edale, built in 1885.
The present church at Edale was erected in 1885, replacing an earlier church on a site across the road. The new church was built at a cost of £3,000 that was raised by public subscription. It is a handsome edifice, in the Decorated Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south west porch, and tower surmounted by a fine spire. There is accommodation for 250. (1)
The south porch of the building was the subject of a historic building survey carried out in 2019 in advance of a proposed single storey extension in this area. 'The South Porch is a single-storey open-fronted structure with a pitched tiled roof with overhanging verges and eaves encompassing cast-iron gutters. The South Porch is located against the western end of the south elevation clasping partially a buttress (Plate 4). Its construction encompasses two ‘L’-shaped short stone walls whose longer sections abut the fabric of the south elevation of the church and the buttress. The walls carry timber-framed glazed panels with trefoil arches and two small quatrefoil lights above each arch. The glazing consists of leaded stain glass of different colours. The timber-framed panels carry the roof structure, which comprises scantling common rafters with upper collars supporting timber boards.' Regarding the building in general: 'The primary construction included the South Porch. The tower and spire were completed four years later but formed part of the original design. This church was the third to be built in Edale. The first two stood across the road within the old graveyard. The first chapel was built in 1633 and the chapel was later rebuilt in the same site in 1812. Stone from the second old chapel was used in the construction of the extant new church.' (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 18 NW PARISH OF EDALE GRINDSBROOK MAIN STREET 3/53 (West Side)Church of the Holy Trinity GV II
Church. 1885-6, tower completed 1890, by William Dawes of Manchester. Coursed squared rock-faced gritstone with gritstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs with stone coped gables. Nave with south porch, chancel, south vestry and north east tower with short stone broach spire. Early English style with pairs and triplets of lancets to the nave and cusped lancets to the chancel. East window of three stepped lancets within a super-arch, west window of two 2-light windows with quatrefoils above and a cinquefoil in a circle above. Tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses, the north east buttress incorporating a polygonal stair turret. Paired lancet bell-openings. Spire with one tier of lucarnes with cross finials. Base of north east buttress inscribed with date 1885. Bellcote on the eastern gable of the nave. Paired chimneystack rising from the eaves at the south east corner of the nave. Plain interior with substantil timber roofs. Stained glass in the north easternmost window of the nave, 1905 by Sir Ninian Comper. Above the south door, inside, are two benefaction boards dated 1831, from the old church.
Listing NGR: SK1232285769.'
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 159.
Unpublished document: Mora-Ottoman, A (Wessex). 2019. Holy Trinity Church, Edale, Derbyshire: Historic Building Recording.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334535.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.