Site record MDR23203 - Site of Holy Trinity Church, Edale
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Former site of Holy Trinity Church, Edale, first built c1633 then rebuilt in 1812. 'The chapel was built in 1633 and was consecrated on Trinity Sunday 1634 by the Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield. The chapel was rebuilt on the same site in 1812 and finally pulled down in 1885 [replaced by the current Holy Trinity Church on the west side of the road]. The site of the chapel was retained as a burial ground for the existing Holy Trinity Church, on the opposite side of the road. The oldest gravestone within the former chapel’s graveyard dates to 1682. ...The foundation stone of the 1812 chapel is located in the northern wall of the churchyard, now deteriorating, with two large flakes detached from the surface, inscribed: ‘EDALE CHAPEL, ORIGINALLY BUILT AD MDCXXXIII, TAKEN DOWN AND REPLACED BY THIS PRESENT EDIFICE AD MDCCCXII’.' (1) The building is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 where it is labelled 'Holy Trinity Church.'
- <1> SDR24549 Unpublished document: Mora-Ottoman, A (Wessex). 2019. Holy Trinity Church, Edale, Derbyshire: Historic Building Recording.
|Grid reference||SK 1238 8572 (point)|
|Civil Parish||EDALE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 7:41PM