Building record MDR12315 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Barber Booth, Edale

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Wesleyans have a chapel at Barber Booth, erected at a cost of £300, to seat 150. It is in the Bradwell circuit. The Barber family formerly owned land and were resident here, hence the name of the hamlet. (1) This Methodist Chapel is dated 1811. It is built of rubble gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. It has a stone slate roof, with one truncated stack. It also has moulded eaves corbels. It is two storeys high, and is of two bays, plus a single-storey 19th century bay to west. There is a doorway on the right with a dressed stone surround and plank door. The date stone above is inscribed WESLEYAN/METHODIST CHAPEL/ ERECTED/AD MDCCCXI. Two windows to the left have small panes and casement lights, with stone lintels and sills. There are also two similar, but smaller windows above. The chapel has simple interior fittings with a gallery. (2) It appears to still be in use as a church [2010]. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 159.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 82504.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 12/05/2010.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1130 8480 (14m by 7m)
Civil Parish EDALE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 6 2013 11:14AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.