A Mission Church is situated to the northeast of this site on the 2nd edition OS map (see SMR 31184). (1)
By the 3rd edition OS map, this church has been demolished, and the current church has been built. It is named as a Mission Church. (2)
A church built in 1914-1915 by P Currey and C C Thompson. It is built of random rubble gritstone, with ashlar gritstone dressings. It has steep Westmorland slate roofs with eyebrow dormers. It was built in the Arts and Crafts style. It has a nave, with low north and south aisles, north and south porches, transepts, a chancel and north and south vestries. The west end has four tall graduated lancets, with a relieving arch over the central two, and clasping corner buttresses. The nave has two three-light mullion aisle windows divided by prominent buttresses, with two two-light eye-brow dormer windows above. To the west, the porches are topped with half-hipped roofs, and have deeply recessed pointed arched doorways, with double doors and large iron hinges. The transepts each have a tall double lancet, with an oval window in a pointed relieving arch and angle buttresses. The crossing is topped with a small square louvred bell lantern that has a pyramidal hipped roof. The chancel has three graduated lancets within a single pointed relieving arch with a hoodmould. Below is a lean-to passage, with two single lancets linking gabled vestries at either side. Vestries project to the east on both sides, both with three graduated lancets. All window openings have exterior ironwork. The interior of the building is white washed apart from grit stone dressings. The nave is of three bays with coursed masonry piers. The aisle windows are in splayed and shaped moulded surrounds. There is a pointed chancel arch, flanked by round-headed arches. There are paired rafters to the roof. The church has good contemporary fittings. They include carved angels to corbels supporting rood beam to the chancel arch; a carved chancel screen; a carved wooden pulpit on a stone base (1913); and a stone octagonal font with a carved wooden cover. There is stained glass with biblical themes to the chancel and transepts. The nave has simple leaded rectangular lights with stained diamond panes. (3)
It is now names as St Mary's Church on modern mapping (2010). (4)
St Mary's church has been identified as an 'Arts and Crafts' or Art Noveau building in Derbyshire, built in 1917 and designed by P H Currey of Currey and Thompson. (5)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 462969.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 09/06/2010.
Unpublished document: 'Arts and Crafts' and 'Art Nouveau' buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0590 7295 (36m by 30m)
BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.