There is a building situated here on the 1st edition OS map, but it is not marked as being a place of worship. (1)
There is a Mission Church situated here on the 2nd edition OS map. (2)
A mission church was erected in Foolow a few years ago [writing in 1895], at a cost of £400, to seat 70 persons. (3)
A parish church that was built in 1880. It is built of coursed limestone rubble, with gritstone dressings and rusticated quoins to the porch. It has a stone slate roof, and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. There is a bellcote to the south gable, and a ridge cross to the porch. It is a two-bay, single-storey building with a lower projecting south porch and a north chancel bay. There is a semi-circular headed porch doorcase with a plain hood, and semi-circular headed windows to either side of the porch. Above, in the south gable wall, is an oval window in a flush surround. There are two large four-pane windows either side of the nave, and rectangular windows with coloured glass to the chancel bay. The interior is very simple with bench pews, and there is a table altar to the north. Included for group value only. (4)
The main body of St Hugh's Mission Church was originally a smithy. An entry in the Eyam Parish Magazine for July 1888 records: 'We have received a very liberal offer from Mr Bagshawe of Sheffield, from himself and the trustees of his late brother for the purchase of the old smithy, and we estimate that the total cost of the purchase and of necessary alterations will not exceed £150'. The foundation stone of the church was laid in August 1888, and it opened later that year. The chancel was added in 1889. The porch was also added later, but it is not known when. (5)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 379.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80680.
*Internet Web Site: Lee, D. 2003. St Hugh's Mission Church, Foolow: A Short History and Notes on the Fabric and Furnishings. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/Foolow/ChurchHistory.html.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1908 7684 (9m by 18m)
FOOLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2010 10:42AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.