Building record MDR12383 - St Johns' Church, Bottomhill Road, Cressbrook
Type and Period (2)
- SCHOOL (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1882 AD)
- MISSION CHURCH (Georgian to Edwardian - 1750 AD to 1903 AD)
- None recorded
There is a school situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) There is a school at Cressbrook that is capable of accommodating 85 children, and is also used for church service. (2) On the 2nd edition OS map, the building is named as St John's Church. It appears to have the same dimensions as the school. (3) The building has been enlarged by the 3rd edition OS map. (4) There is a Mission Church at Cressbrook, which was enlarged in 1903, at a cost of £1,200. It has a turret containing two bells. Divine service is held here every Sunday by the clergy of Tideswell. There are 200 sittings. (5) The building appears to be still in use as a place of worship . (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 479.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20966 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1928. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 420.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1671 7326 (23m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2010 10:43AM