Range of former farm outbuildings, now stores, of mid-17th and early 18th century date, with late 20th century alterations. It is constructed of coursed squared gritstone, the earlier part evenly coursed. Roof coverings are stone slate, Welsh slate and blue tile, the earlier part with stone copings to the gables. The range is 'L' shaped, the earlier part aligned north-south, the later part at right angles to it. The interior includes a three-bay double purlin roof supported by two queen strut trusses with collars and ties, trenched purlins and a diagonally-set ridge purlin. There is longitudinal wind bracing to the centre bay. (1)
Eight core samples were taken from timbers in the earlier three-bay range for tree ring analysis. The resulting dates indicated that there are two phases of construction represented by the samples. The timbers for the tie beams were felled in 1537 and represent the remains of an earlier building. The likely felling date of the other timbers is c. 1609, representing a later phase of construction. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/2960/10013.
Unpublished document: Nottingham University Tree-Ring Dating Laboratory. Dendro Sample Record and Summary. Initial report November 1995.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2931 6080 (30m by 29m)
MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 12 2018 2:31PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.