The Mission Church at Sawmills is first shown on the 3rd ed. 25" OS map of the early 20th century. (1)
St Anne's Church, Ambergate, decided that it had no further use for St Mary's Mission Chapel in 2013. A WWII memorial, an oak plaque, was removed at this time and passed to the Bullbridge and Saw Mills Civic Society for safe-keeping. It was hoped that the memorial would be re-erected in the Saw Mills Village Hall. The chapel also had a 'Handyside of Derby' pulpit, and there were discussions about selling it to Derby Museum. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Correspondence: Warren, P. 2013. Email regarding St Mary's Chapel WWI memorial, received by HER Officer 20/09/2013. Email.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3604 5220 (16m by 10m)
RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2016 3:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.