The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Langley Mill was built prior to 1881. By 1900 a Sunday School had been constructed abutting the northern wall of the chapel and in 1911 the chapel was extended to the east. The buildings were demolished in 2000. Excavations carried out on the site in 2010 uncovered the western, northern and eastern walls of the original chapel, including the eastern porch and entrance surface and internal brick floor supports. The addition of the Sunday School to the north of the chapel probably involved the partial demolition and relocation of the chapel's original apse. The brick floor support walls of the eastern extension were also identified. A number of locally produced stoneware vessels, primarily inkwells, was recovered from the site, the majority of which were probably made at the Langley Mill pottery on the opposite side of Wesley Street. (1)
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4511 4715 (38m by 33m)
ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 12 2010 8:52AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.