Radbourne Hall was built 1739-1745 and is surrounded by an extensive park landscaped from 1790 by William Emes, the work probably being left in the hands of his assistant John Webb. The gardens are further embellished with eight coadstone urns, and it is believed that Humphrey Repton was consulted about them in 1809, although it is unclear whether he actually undertook work at Radbourne. (1)
The present day park surrounding Radbourne Hall has extensive ridge and furrow equating with open arable fields shown on a map of 1711. The line of the old road is also clearly marked on the map, crossing the present park. See SMR 24309 for Radbourne Old Park. (2)
In 2017 no trace was found of a grand flight of steps on the northwest elevation leading to the first floor. <4>
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 179.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. p 138.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.