Radbourne Hall is a country house of 1739 with an addition of c1865, restored and reduced c1960. The Hall was built for German Pole, probably by William Smith the Younger. It has a rusticated stone basement, but is red brick with stone dressings elsewhere. There is a hipped slate roof with brick ridge stacks hidden by stone coped brick parapets. (1-2)
The present house was commenced c1735. The site was carefully chosen on the highest part of the estate, with fine views over the countryside. The architect was Francis Smith of Warwick, although he died in 1738 before the house was completed. The final touches were done by his brother William. Much of the material for the house was local, many of the bricks were made on the site with local clay, while stone for the basement storey came from quarries on the family's own land at Kirk Langley. The house has remained virtually as Francis Smith intended, thanks to careful restoration. (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 23 NE PARISH OF RADBOURNE SUTTON LANE 2/47 (North Side) 2.9.52 Radbourne Hall GV I
Country house. 1739 with c1865 addition, restored and reduced c1960. Built for German Pole, probably by William Smith the Younger. Rusticated stone basement, red brick with stone dressings elsewhere. Hipped slate roof with brick ridge stacks hidden by stone coped brick parapets. Plain stone plinth, plain sill band. to top of basement and moulded stone cornice. Two storey plus basement, and seven bays with three central bays advanced. Entrance front has broad flight of stone steps with shaped balusters, across central three bays. To either side the basement has two glazing bar sashes with rusticated voussoirs. Above are six full height glazing bar sashes with alternating segmental and triangular pediments, moulded shouldered surrounds and pulvinated friezes. To centre, double glazed doors in Corinthian doorcase with dentilled segmental pediment and pulvinated frieze. Above again, seven glazing bar sashes in moulded shouldered surrounds. Central bays have triangular pediment over with central achievement of Pole family amidst abundant flower and foliage carving. Park elevation in similar style with advanced central three bays, seven glazing bar sashes on each level, those to ground floor with moulded cornice rather than pediments, and bull's eye window to central pediment. East and west elevations are of three bays with central bays advanced. West elevation has similar disposition and style of windows as main elevation, except for central bay which has a glazed door below rusticated voussoirs to basement, above which is a round window in moulded surround and a large Venetian staircase window. East elevation is plainer without rustication to the basement and with Venetian window to ground floor of central bay. Attached to north corner the remains of a large c1865 addition, now mostly demolished. Complete contemporary interior of high quality, with wide mahogany dogleg staircase with turned balusters, fluted to base and moulded ramped handrail. Entrance hall has twin columned screen, plasterwork ceiling with Greek Key design to ribs and central shell rose, moulded fireplace with pedimented overmantle and oak leaf decoration to pulvinated frieze below and matching niche on opposite wall, also pairs of doors in architectural surrounds, those to far side of screen pedimented. Saloon behind has painted and gilded wood and stucco decoration of elaborate design, covering walls and ceiling. End walls have sets of three pictures, in gilt architectural frames, by Joseph Wright and south wall has two large paintings by J H Mortimer in similar frames. Paired doors have bolection moulded acanthus leaf friezes and moulded cornices, also open pediment to hall door. Fireplace has shouldered surround and overmantle with open pediment and central bust. Dining room is completely panelled with dentilled cornice, and coved ceiling with Greek Key frieze, also a re-used C18 coloured marble bolection moulded fireplace and segment headed mirror in moulded surround to east wall covering cupboard niche. Old Dining Room, now kitchen, has coved ceiling and dado rail but original grey marble fireplace has been re-used in the basement. Library has been refashioned in Adam style with C19 bookshelves. Drawing room, opposite, has original coved ceiling and marble fireplace with shouldered surround and swan-necked pediment to overmantle with scrolled sides. Upper rooms are much plainer. The Tapestry Room has Jacobean chimneypiece and re-used C18 panelling, probably re-used from the earlier house. One of the north bedrooms has a good mahogany pedimented overmantle but others have modest C18 fireplaces. Corridor has bolection moulded plaster panels. Ceiling to west end over the main staircase has fine plaster rose in moulded circular panel. Basement has few features except for some re-used C17 panelling in one bedroom and the groin vaulted passage from one side of the house to the other.
Listing NGR: SK2866435654.'