Building record MDR12609 - Dale Chapel, The Dale, Wirksworth
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1859 AD to 1859 AD)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1828 AD to 1828 AD)
- None recorded
The Primitive Methodists have a neat stone chapel, in the Dale, erected in 1828, which will seat about 300 hearers. (1) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) The chapel appears to have been extended by the 2nd edition OS map. (3) The Primitive Methodists have a chapel in the Dale, which was erected in 1859, and seats 460. (4) The first Primitive Methodist Chapel at The Dale was built in 1815 [see SMR 28375]. During 1828, the Primitive Methodists acquired accommodation at the bottom of The Dale and converted it for chapel use. There is evidence to support the theory that the 1828 conversion was re-converted and incorporated as the schoolrooms to the Dale Chapel of 1859. This building, which is now  in use as a warehouse to the local ironmonger, was constructed largely through the exertions of J T Neal. The chapel complex consists of two buildings joined gable to gable, with the lower rear section (the 1828 chapel) forming the schoolrooms. Both are constructed largely of rubble and have a tile roof. The schoolrooms appear to be a conversion of an existing property, probably a cottage or cottages, with the central gable removed to provide a greater open floor area. The chapel building rises about three feet above the schoolrooms. It has a brick gable forming the frontage. The frontage formerly has a slate-roofed brick and stone porch, which has since been removed and replaced with a garage door. The internal layout, although more elaborate, is remarkable similar to that of the Ebenezer Chapel [see SMR 28364]. It has a horseshoe-shaped, steeply-raked gallery, which is supported on five fluted cast iron columns. Iron columns, a raked gallery, simple wood framed sash windows and a conventional preaching area make this a typical example of vernacular chapel of the period. (5) The chapel has had its porch restored and the garage doors have been removed, although it doesn't appear to be in use as a place of worship . (6-7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. pp 452-3.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 441.
- <5> SDR21105 Unpublished document: Simpson, R W. 1981. The Nineteenth Century Chapels of Wirksworth: An Aspect of Vernacular Architecture. pp 9, 38-47.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <7> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 08/04/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2858 5405 (15m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:28PM