The Regal Cinema opened in April 1939. Seating was provided for 588 in the stalls and 220 in the circle. It was designed by the Nottingham architect Reginald W G Cooper in Art Deco style. The exterior of the building is plain rustic brick, relieved only by three windows above the canopy, and when first built there was a flagpole on each side. Red neon originally outlined the building and a 'Regal' name sign. A feature of the auditorium was the Art Deco style lighting. The cinema closed on June 25 1966 - the reason stated was 'due to damage by vandals'. It remained closed for 13 months and was then renovated in a blue and white 'Wedgewood' style when it was taken over by the Wedgewood Group, and re-opened as the Wedgewood Cinema in September 1967. This only survived for a couple of years, however, and the building was converted into a bingo club which opened in February 1970. This closed in October 2007 and the building was then boarded up. After a refurbishment it was re-opened in July 2010 as the Regal Cinema. Unfortunately audience numbers were poor and it closed in early January 2011. (1)
*Internet Web Site: Roe, K. http://cinematreasures.org/theater. Website viewed 05/04/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4333 7480 (18m by 31m)
STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:21AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.