Monument record MDR12753 - Baptist Chapel (site of), Church Street, Ripley
Type and Period (1)
- GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1846 AD to 1846 AD)
- None recorded
The General Baptist Chapel, Church Street, was erected in 1846, at a cost of £900. It is a handsome brick building, with stone dressings in the Grecian style, with a small burying ground attached. It will seat 250 persons, and the same number of Sunday school children can be accommodated in the portion of the building fitted up expressly for that purpose. (1) There is a General Baptist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (2) The Baptist Chapel, in Church Street, is a rather pretentious edifice of brick with stone dressings, built in 1846, at a cost of £900. The interior is imposing in appearance and handsomely furnished with open pews of pitchpine. Three domes admit light from the roof, and there are also as many semicircular headed windows in each side wall. On the wall above the gallery is a very handsome monument to Thomas and Ann Ward, who died in 1858. The former was chosen deacon when this congregation was formed in 1833. The chapel will comfortably seat 450 persons. Adjoining the chapel are Sunday Schools, capable of accommodating upwards of 600 children. The total cost, including purchase of the site was about £3,000. (3) The building has since been demolished and the site is now in use as a car park . (4-5)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 306.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 577.
- <4> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 13/05/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3991 5055 (33m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 13 2011 10:54AM