Listed Building record MDR12791 - North Mortuary Chapel, Hazelwood Road, Duffield
Type and Period (1)
- MORTUARY CHAPEL (Victorian to 21st Century - 1880 AD to 2050 AD)
North Mortuary Chapel, Hazelwood Road, Duffield, built in 1880. There is a Nonconformist Mortuary Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c1900 that does not appear on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880. (1-2) 'There is a cemetery at Duffield that covers four acres and was laid out in 1880. There are two mortuary chapels here.' (3) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 34 SW PARISH OF DUFFIELD HAZELWOOD ROAD 3/9 (West Side) North Chapel at Duffield Cemetery GV II Cemetery Chapel. 1880. Rock-faced gritstone with gritstone dressings. Plain tile roof, stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Moulded eaves cornice. Early English style. Angle buttresses with steeply sloping set-offs. Symmetrical east elevation has a central steeply gabled porch. Double chamfered entrance with hoodmould and foliage stops. Flanked on each side by single trefoiled lancets. 4-light south window with plate tracery. Listing NGR: SK3399244113.' (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 653.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335364?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 33992 44113 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2023 10:34PM