Monument record MDR12877 - Mission Church (site of), Elnor Street, Langley Mill

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1895 AD to 1901 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a Mission Church situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that was not present on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1-2) Religious services were originally held in a room above a builder's workshop on Elnor Street. When this room became too small, a temporary iron church was put up on the corner of Elnor Street in 1895. By 1901, further overcrowding issues led to the construction of an extension and a north wing. When, in turn, this structure became too small, the building of St Andrew's Church began [see SMR 16028]. The iron church in Elnor Street was used as a church hall until it was destroyed by fire in 1955. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Langley Mill Heritage Group. Langley Mill Heritage. http://www.langleymillheritage.org.uk/. Website created in 2008.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4516 4703 (27m by 32m)
Civil Parish ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 24 2011 10:54AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.