Monument record MDR12881 - Mission Church (site of), off Boat Lane, Stoneyford

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1896 AD to 1921 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

There is a Mission Church situated here on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 19th century that is not present on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. It appears to have superseded an earlier church to the north (see SMR 16030). (1-2) A page on the Jacksdale and Westwood Community Website mentions the Stoneyford Memorial Plaque, 'which used to be inside the tin tabernacle at Stoneyford. The tabernacle has now been re-constructed at the Golden Valley Railway Museum. The Memorial Plaque is now inside Christ Church, Ironville [SMR 21817]'. It is uncertain whether the tin tabernacle they refer to is the Mission Church, or the earlier Holy Trinity Church [see SMR 16030 also]. (3) The building has since been demolished or removed. The site remains undeveloped [2011]. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <3> *Internet Web Site: Taylor-Cockayne, C (BADJER). Stoneyford Memorial. http://www.jacksdale.org.uk/pages/OtherMems/Stoneyford/StoneyMem.htm.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4458 4921 (42m by 44m)
Civil Parish ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jun 24 2011 12:31PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.