There are two mortuary chapels situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880; one for the Church of England and one for Non-conformists. (1)
Two grade II listed cemetery chapels dating to circa 1860. They are built of rock-faced ashlar with ashlar dressings and double chamfered plinth. They have steeply-pitched lozenge-patterned grey and green slate roof. The chapels are at right angles to each other with a central tower between. The tower has a full-width carriage arch through it. The interiors of the chapels are very plain, with arched trusses on carved spandrels and tiled floors. See list description for more details. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 83126.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3874 2589 (14m by 21m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:59AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.