Building record MDR13036 - Church, Chapel Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1815 AD to 1815 AD)
There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1) The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship in Ticknall. It is a plain brick building that was built in 1815. (2) The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is built of brown brick and slate. It has a shaped gable, and a tablet dated 1815. The hung sashes to the front windows have been replaced since 1970. It has a square interior, with a gallery around three sides. The gallery has original seating, with the lower pews renewed in the late 19th century. (3) A grade II listed non-conformist chapel dating to 1815. It is built of red brick with painted stone dressings, and has a Welsh slate roof. It is of two storeys. The three-bay entrance elevation has a parapet ramped up to a pedimented gable. There is a large round-arched entrance, with 20th century double doors and an overlight. The entrance is flanked on each side by fixed small pane lights under wedge brick lintels. There are three similar windows above. Above the centre window, there is a stone with a moulded hoodmould that is inscribed 'METHODIST CHAPEL 1815'. Inside, there is a U-plan gallery supported on five cast iron columns. There is a later 19th century raised preaching platform with iron railings, and plain open benches. A pair of stick baluster staircases lead up to the gallery. See list description for more details. (4) It still appears to be in use as a place of worship . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 830.
- <3> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 56.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82884.
- <5> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3539 2405 (13m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2011 4:20PM