Ashford Dale Sawmill may have also been a bone mill. Three waterwheels survive, comprising a 13 feet diameter ventilated breast wheel, a 12 feet low breast wheel and a small breast wheel driving a water pump which formerly supplied Sheldon village. (1-2)
Two buildings on the south bank of the River Wye, the more westerly of them still retaining two external iron waterwheels, formerly comprised a Bone Mill. They were later used for timber. The leat is still traceable coming from the weir across the river a short distance upstream. Close to the river, beside the mill buildings, is a pumping house and small waterwheel used in the past to raise spring water to Sheldon Village. (3)
Ornate two storey mid 19th century limestone mill buildings with gritstone lintels and facings. Two derelict iron water wheels in situ together with watercourses. Local tradition is that the mill was first used to produce bobbins for the Wye valley cotton industry but there is no evidence to support this. Indee by 1900 it was run by Cox, Wilson and Sons, 'Saw Mills and Wheelwrights'. The Arkwright Society carried out extensive restoration work in 1979. (4)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 16 NE PARISH OF SHELDON BUXTON ROAD 6/160 (South Side) Ashford Bobbin Mill, West Building GV II
Bobbin mill. c1870, restored c1979. Coursed limestone rubble with punched gritstone dressings and quoins. Slate roof with overhanging eaves. Wooden ridge finials. Rear wall stone stack. Two storeys, three bays. Central flush doorcase with plank door. To either side, windows with punched stone surrounds. Above, two similar and central 2-light mullion window . To east and west, metal waterwheels. Listed for its historical interest.
Listing NGR: SK1821169656.'
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.