Listed Building record MDR1304 - Ashford Bobbin Mill, Buxton Road, Sheldon
Type and Period (2)
- BOBBIN MILL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1870 AD? to 1979 AD?)
- BUILDING (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1979 AD? to 2050 AD)
Ashford Dale Sawmill may have also been a bone mill. Three waterwheels survive, comprising a 13 feet diameter ventilated breast wheel, a 12 feet low breast wheel and a small breast wheel driving a water pump which formerly supplied Sheldon village. (1-2) Two buildings on the south bank of the River Wye, the more westerly of them still retaining two external iron waterwheels, formerly comprised a Bone Mill. They were later used for timber. The leat is still traceable coming from the weir across the river a short distance upstream. Close to the river, beside the mill buildings, is a pumping house and small waterwheel used in the past to raise spring water to Sheldon Village. (3) Ornate two storey mid 19th century limestone mill buildings with gritstone lintels and facings. Two derelict iron water wheels in situ together with watercourses. Local tradition is that the mill was first used to produce bobbins for the Wye valley cotton industry but there is no evidence to support this. Indee by 1900 it was run by Cox, Wilson and Sons, 'Saw Mills and Wheelwrights'. The Arkwright Society carried out extensive restoration work in 1979. (4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 16 NE PARISH OF SHELDON BUXTON ROAD 6/160 (South Side) Ashford Bobbin Mill, West Building GV II Bobbin mill. c1870, restored c1979. Coursed limestone rubble with punched gritstone dressings and quoins. Slate roof with overhanging eaves. Wooden ridge finials. Rear wall stone stack. Two storeys, three bays. Central flush doorcase with plank door. To either side, windows with punched stone surrounds. Above, two similar and central 2-light mullion window . To east and west, metal waterwheels. Listed for its historical interest. Listing NGR: SK1821169656.' (5)
- <1> SDR3843 Bibliographic reference: 1975. CBA Panel on Industustrial Monuments. p13.
- <2> SDR9442 Index: NDAT. 0086. 0086.
- <3> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
- <4> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1087826.
|Grid reference||SK 18211 69656 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SHELDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 29 2018 4:30PM