The present church at Coton-in-the-Elms, which is dedicated to St Mary, stands a short distance from the site of the old chapel [SMR 18301]. It was built in 1845-6, and comprises chancel, nave, western porch, and an embattled tower with octagonal spire containing one bell. The nave is fitted with open benches to seat 247 persons. There are three stained glass windows in memory of members of the Horton family. (1)
A grade II listed parish church dating to 1844-6 by Stevens of Derby, with a late 19th century northern organ bay. It has been built in the Decorated style, out of tooled ashlar with stone dressings and a chamfered plinth. It has a steeply-pitched fishscale tile roof with lapped stone copings to the gables and a chamfered eaves band. It comprises a three-stage west tower, a nave and lower chancel plus a north organ bay. See list description for more details. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 731.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82942.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2436 1541 (25m by 19m)
COTON IN THE ELMS, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 11 2014 3:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.