The Baptist Chapel at Netherseal was built in 1840. (1)
There is a General Baptist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2)
A grade II listed Baptist chapel that was built in 1840, with 20th century alterations. It is built of red brick with gauged brick dressings, and has a hipped concrete tile roof with dentilled eaves band. It comprises four bays and is of a single storey. There is a central segment-headed doorcase with double panelled doors, which is flanked by segment-headed small paned iron windows with opening casements. Beyond to either side there are narrower segment-headed doors with pointed gothic panels. Above there are four similar windows to those below, with a stone plaque to the centre inscribed 'Baptist Meeting House 1840'. The west wall has been rendered and has two pointed windows at gallery level. The interior has a plain ceiling with a reeded ceiling rose, and a panelled gallery to the east on iron columns. To either side there are the original box pews and to the west end there is a late 19th century raised dais with a balustrade. All the windows have simple hoods. (3)
The General Baptist society in Netherseal was established in c. 1826 as a branch of Austrey, Warwickshire, and became autonomous in 1829. In 1840 they formed a united church with Measham, Leicestershire. The meeting-house was built in 1840, and has brick walls as a hipped slate roof. The broad north front is in Flemish bond with glazed headers, and the windows have cast-iron frames. The south wall is blank, the rendered west wall has two small pointed-arched windows at the upper level, and the east wall has two similar windows below the gallery with a pair of plain windows above. The fenestration appears to require two end galleries but there is now only a single east gallery, closed with shutters below the front, and a late 19th century rostrum pulpit at the west end. (4)
The building is labelled as being a place of worship on modern OS mapping . (5)
Bibliographic reference: Wright, C N. 1887-8. Wright's Directory of Leicestershire. p 526.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 82965.
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 53.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2862 1311 (16m by 13m)
NETHERSEAL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 20 2011 2:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.