The 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880 shows two collieries c. 300m apart, each with a shaft marked. They are linked by a length of tramway or railway, and are named Bull Close Collieries. (1)
The collieries are still marked on the 2nd edition, but are shown as 'Disused'. (2)
They are no longer named on the 3rd edition, although earthworks are marked on the site of the eastern colliery and a building is marked on the site of the western colliery, which appears to have been planted with mixed deciduous and coniferous trees. (3)
There are significant coal waste mounds within the woodland on the site of the western colliery, together with the remains of at least nine or ten beehive coke ovens. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: Harvey, J. 2012. Email to the HER Officer, November 21 2012.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3582 7671 (350m by 193m)
UNSTONE, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2012 4:46PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.