Church built in 1857-9 by Stockton and Son, renovated in 1884. It is built from coursed, squared sandstone with gritstone dressings. It is built in an Early English Style and has a steeply pitched slate roof. (1)
According to Bulmer's Directory, Christ Church at Wessington was a substantial stone edifice, built by subscription in 1857, and comprised a chancel, nave, south porch, vestry, and western bell turret. There was accommodation for 200, and all seats were free in consequence of a grant of £120 from the Incorporated Society. Formerly those who attended evening service had to provide their own lamps, and traces of the pegs or nails on which they were suspended could still be seen in the walls. (2)
According to Kelly's Directory, Christ Church, Wessington, was erected and consecrated in 1889. It is described as being a building made of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and a turret containing one bell; there was one small stained window. The church was renovated and improved in 1884, and again in 1899, to provide 188 sittings. A new organ was provided in 1907. (3)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 694.
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 249.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3726 5760 (24m by 14m)
WESSINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2016 2:40PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.