According to Bulmer's Directory, a mission chapel, dedicated to St. John, was erected in Tupton in 1889, at a cost of £1,100, raised by benefactions and subscriptions. (1)
There is a Mission Church dedicated to St John situated on New Street (now Queen Victoria Street) on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, presumable that referred to by Bulmer in 1895. (2)
Modern maps show this building is still extant and in use as a church, with a Sunday School building to the rear, possibly built around the same time as the church as it is shown on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900 but not labelled as a Sunday School. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 96.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3958 6615 (43m by 43m)
TUPTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:24PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.