Monument record MDR1341 - Hard Rake Mine, Ashford-in-the-Water
Type and Period (3)
- MINE SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HORSE WHIM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Large mineshaft, c.1840, with nearby gin circle in Hard Rake Plantation. Has connections to Magpie Mine to the East. (1). Hard Rake mine, in the plantation, has a capped engine shaft with an adjacent walled gin circle and dressing floor, all on a high flat-topped hillock. (4). Farey mentions Hard Rake Mine in 1811 as a lead and calamine (zinc oxide) mine. The principal work at the mine was carried out in the 1840s. (5).
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. C8; Willies, L M; 1973.
- <2> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 458.1-2.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Hardrake Mine Shaft.
- <4> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No.63, pp 89-90.
- <6> SDR20309 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1999. Hard Rake, Ashford-in-the-Water, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1999. Nos. 4,6,8-11, pp 10-11.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1612 6812 (85m by 61m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ASHFORD IN THE WATER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 20 2015 10:53AM