Building record MDR13479 - St Leonard Mission Church, Valley Road, Spital, Chesterfield

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

St Leonard’s Mission Church, built in 1895, is the daughter church of St Mary & All Saints Church and serves Spital, a suburb of Chesterfield. The name ‘Spital’ is derived from a 13th century Leper Hospital which was located nearby and dedicated to God in honour of St. Leonard. (1) There is a Mission Room situated in Spital on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, not shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880. (2) The 3rd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map shows the Mission Room had been extended to the east. (3) Modern maps show this building is still extant and in use as a Mission Church dedicated to St Leonard. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> *Internet Web Site: Parish Church of St Mary and All Saints. http://www.chesterfieldparishchurch.org.uk/default.htm. website accessed 04/01/2013.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. website accessed 04/01/2013.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3918 7059 (34m by 24m)
Civil Parish CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 4 2013 11:22AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.