According to Kelly's Directory, the Mission Church of St. James, in Vicar lane, is an edifice of red brick with stone dressings, erected and presented to the parish in 1896 by the late Rev. the Hon. Cecil Littleton M. A. then vicar, in memory of his mother, and will seat 200 persons; it is now used as a parish hall for Sunday school and mission services. (1)
There is a Mission Church, dedicated to St James, situated on Vicar Lane on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1900, not shown on the 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, presumably that referred to y Kelly in 1912. (2)
Modern maps show this building is no longer extant, the site has been developed for a shopping centre. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 101.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Greenwood, N. Personal observation based on map evidence, site visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3844 7103 (9m by 16m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 27 2017 4:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.