Skip to main content

Monument record MDR14035 - Old Millclose Lead Mine, Red Lion Shaft, B5057, Wensley

Type and Period (4)

  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Red Lion Shaft into the upper parts of the extensive Old Millclose mine gives access to a rear paved level, leats, buddles and a reservoir dam. (1) Old Millclose mine was owned by the London Lead CO. from 1720 until 1764 when the workings were flooded and remained so until Edward Miller Wass decided to re-open the mine in 1859 believing there was still ore to be found. As the mine grew it brought further flooding problems and in 1874 and it was forced to close for two years. Wass had prepared for this and opened a new shaft, Warren Carr, 300 ft. deep, which had been sunk in readiness. This shaft became the main focus of activity and remained in use until around 1889. By 1918 the mine had suffered from disputes, strikes and lockouts for two years. In February 1919 the mine was put up for sale. Bradford Vale Mining Co. brought Millclose shaft in late 1919, forming Millclose Mines Ltd. Modern drilling methods were introduced along with dynamite, however, by the end of 1929, the mine was not a success and made a lost that year. Further shafts were sunk in 1925 in anticipation for yet more flooding although in 1936 engineers and miners were laid off as the mines flooded past a level of control. The mine was eventually closed in 1940 after salvage operations. The smelter remained in use until 1941 when the plant was sold to H. J. Enthoven & Sons, who still exist today. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 8 site no. NU40.
  • <2> Article in serial: North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society (NEDIAS). 2005. North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter, No. 19, August 2005.



Grid reference Centred SK 2606 6104 (33m by 36m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 20 2015 12:10PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.