Monument record MDR1407 - Mandale Sough, Over Haddon
Type and Period (1)
- DRAINAGE LEVEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1797 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Mouth of Mandale sough. Built between 1797 and 1820 it extended for over 1 mile. (4). First portion was 1350yds long. After 1820, it was extended to 1900yds and substantially redriven in the 1840's. Financially a failure. (5). Mandale and Lathkill dale Mines and Soughs: The surface features include the entrance to Mandale Sough. The underground features include Mandale Sough itself that in part is arched or slabbed over, together with stopes and a chamber at the base of an engine shaft. (7). Photograph collection. (8). See also SMR 30944.
- <1> SDR4740 Article in serial: Rieuwerts, J. 1963. 'Lathkill Dale - Its Mines and Miners', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 2.
- <2> SDR4747 Article in serial: Tune, R. 1969. 'A survey of Mandale Mine, Lathkilldale', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. Volume 4, pp 67-74.
- <3> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Rieuwerts,J : 5/1/70 : C37.
- <4> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition.
- <5> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire. pp 49-50.
- <6> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. No. 78, pp 108-109.
- <7> SDR20239 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 2005. Lathkill Dale National Nature Reserve: Over Haddon, Monyash and Youlgreave Parishes, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2005. No.186, pp 226-228.
- <8> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 530.11; 12.7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1978 6612 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||OVER HADDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2015 9:19AM