Listed Building record MDR14171 - Milford School, Chevin Road, Milford

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian - 1770 AD to 1830 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A grade II listed late 18th-early 19th century school (it appears on the Strutt survey of 1797 in outline), with later 19th century additions. There is some architectural evidence that it was built in two parts to serve two different functions. It is on a sloping site, with the upper floor at street level on the west side, and the arcaded ground floor at the rear lower level on the east side. The ground floor is said to have been used for Strutt wagons, with the upper floor used as a school (now all used as a school). It is built of coursed stone, with a slate roof with large cowl ventilators. It is an angled symmetrical building with an acute centre angle containing the porch on the street elevation, and a flattened stone bow, carried through both floors, to the rear. There are twelve windows to the street facade, all paired sashes with small panes and cast iron glazing bars. The centre stone porch contains a panelled door with a fanlight; the inner door is similar. Below some of the windows are bricked up panels - perhaps formerly giving access to arcaded rear stalls. The rear fa├žade has a part arcaded ground floor; now filled in. It also has paired windows, as on the street elevation, and there is also a window in the bowed flat-roofed centre bay. There is a sill band carried round at first floor level. A later extension is situated at the north end. The interior has very light iron ceiling trusses, which are probably of later 19th century date. The rear may have since been removed. There is also a walled rear playground. (1) The school was built as part of the Milford Mill Complex [SMR 17033], and is attached to workers' housing on Chevin Alley [SMR 17050]. (2)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE entry no: 1087374.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 5.
  • <3> Unpublished document: na. 2007. Photometric Survey of Milford School Walls (not a report).

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3498 4519 (26m by 58m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR4991

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 7 2019 3:32PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.