Building record MDR14174 - Short Rows, Green Lane, Belper

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The houses on Short Row are probably the first houses built by the Strutts in Belper. They are grade II listed and were erected between 1788 and the early 1790s. They comprise terraced cottages stepped up the hillside in pairs. They are built of red brick, with slate roofs and brick chimneys. They are of two storeys, with one window each; generally modern glazing in old spaces. There are some gabled porches, most of which are modern. The rear facades of the northern-most terrace face north and have a single tiny first floor casement each. The ground floor windows are generally altered. No 32 has a fixed window with glazing bars and small centre opening light. (1) Three rows of industrial housing by Strutt, probably dating from 1788 [this refers to 'Hedge Row', Mill Street also]. A water pump of c. 1790 is located opposite numbers 30 and 31 [see SMR 28717]. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE entry nos: 1346572 & 1101738.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 3.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3493 4785 (71m by 42m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.