Building record MDR14177 - Nos. 25-36 Long Row, Belper

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

A grade II listed terrace dating to 1794-1797. It is early industrial housing of some quality built by William Strutt to house the workers in the new mills and warehouses then being erected at Belper. It comprises a long terrace of stone houses built on the hill slope with a pitched slate roof overall. It is of three storeys, generally with one window each, although there are some additional small first floor windows over doors. The doors generally have cambered head linings. Nos 26, 29 to 34 (consec) have sashes with late 19th century glazing and small paired sashes to the second floor. Nos 27 and 35 have modern bow windows to the ground floor, and the other houses generally have modern glazing in former sash spaces. Nos 27 and 36 have had facades sand blasted. The plans of adjoining houses interlock, in order to use the frontage to the best advantage. Stone kerbs surround each front garden. (1) Long Row contains perhaps the most impressive example of industrial housing built in the town by Jedediah Strutt. The stone houses on the north side date from 1792-3 [see also SMR 28783], and the brick-built ones on the south side from the early 19th century [see SMR 28785 and SMR 28786]. (2) Long Row is industrial housing of a high quality. There were originally 77 houses in the Long Row [also see SMR 28783-28790]. It was built in the form of three terraces, two of which were continuous until broken by the North Midland Railway in 1840. The 35 three-storey houses are constructed predominately in sandstone with a continuous sloping eaves line. They are designed with interlocking plans formed around the staircase. Each house has its own garden with allotments behind. There are now 62 dwellings in all. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE entry no: 1101528.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p 3.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Derwent Valley Mills Partnership. 2011. The Derwent Valley Mills and their Communities. pp 54-5.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3480 4791 (67m by 13m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.