Listed Building record MDR14224 - Former Gasworks, off School Lane, Sudbury
Type and Period (4)
- GAS WORKS (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1874 AD to 1980 AD?)
- BLACKSMITHS WORKSHOP (Late 20th Century - 1980 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- POTTERY KILN (Late 20th Century - 1980 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- BUILDING (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 2000 AD? to 2050 AD)
In School Lane, the disused gasworks is built of brick with a diaper pattern like the Hall [SMR 26604], for which it supplied gas. It is mid 19th century in date and possibly built by Devey. (1) A Level 3 Historic Building Survey was carried out in 2017 in advance of proposed redevelopment. The building was constructed to generate gas from coal to supply power to Sudbury Hall and the village, and was built in the same style as the Hall, as a single storey dwelling with elaborate detailing. The building survey and historical research demonstrated that in the early 1900s until 1922 the gasworks had been extended in the southwest corner. The gas cylinder was demolished in the 1930s and in the mid 1980s the building was being used as a smithy. In the 'late 20th' century the building was occupied by a pottery and a brick kiln was built into the southwest extension. In recent years the area where the gas cylinder had been located was used as a rubbish dump and the building was vacant and approaching a derelict condition. (2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 13 SE PARISH OF SUDBURY SCHOOL LANE 3/69 (West Side) Old Gas Works GV II Gas works, now blacksmiths. 1874. Attributed to George Devey. Red brick with orange brick diaper work. Sandstone dressings plain tile roofs with blue tile diaper work. Flemish gables. Lateral brick stack with paired diamond plan shafts. Brick dentil eaves cornice. Single storey. Tall central sections with lower wings. North elevation has tall Flemish gabled centre bay. Ground floor large C20 opening with RSJ lintel. Blind opening above with stone surround and brick relieving arch. Circular ventilator above again. Plain walls to right and left with diaper work. East elevation has doorways with chamfered stone surrounds and a circular ventilation hole. Listing NGR: SK1599831900.' (3)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 334.
- <2> SDR24123 Unpublished document: Grange, E (ARS Ltd). 2017. Sudbury Gasworks, School Lane, Sudbury, Derbyshire: Historic Building Recording and Archaeological Monitoring of Trial Pits.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1239181.
|Grid reference||SK 15998 31900 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBURY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2020 11:20PM