This building was formerly a private school run by John Williamson, Ashover’s parish clerk (1846-1849). Williamson later quarrelled with the rector of the day, Joseph Nodder, who dismissed him for giving out notices in the church on his own account and without authority. (1)
A grade II listed house dating to the mid 18th century with 19th century alterations. It is built of ashlar and coursed squared gritstone with ashlar dressings, advanced chamfered quoins, eaves cornice, coped gables with moulded kneelers, gable stone stacks, and a Welsh slated roof. It is a L-plan house, of three storeys and four bays, with a two-storeyed two-bay range to the rear. The attached boundary wall, of coursed ashlar blocks, is surmounted by pointed and spear-headed metal railings. The gatepiers and corner piers are square on plan, each with a moulded cornice and a domed/hemispherical cap. See list description for more details. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Warner, T & Buxton, P (North East Derbyshire District Council). 1979. Ashover Village Trail.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1218511.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3486 6301 (16m by 15m)
ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:44PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.